DMV Tx – Traffic School/Defensive Driving: Information on attending traffic school or defensive driving courses in Texas, including eligibility, benefits, and how to enroll.
In Texas, you may be eligible to attend a defensive driving course or traffic school to dismiss a traffic ticket or receive a discount on your insurance premiums. These courses cover safe driving practices, traffic laws, and defensive driving techniques. To enroll, you’ll need to find a Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) approved course provider and complete the required hours of instruction.
Here’s the information about attending traffic school or defensive driving courses in Texas, including eligibility, benefits, and how to enroll:
Traffic School/Defensive Driving Courses:
- Traffic school or defensive driving courses are educational programs designed to improve driving skills, enhance traffic safety awareness, and provide knowledge about state traffic laws and regulations.
- In Texas, you may be eligible to attend traffic school or defensive driving courses if you meet the following criteria:
- You have received a traffic citation or have been ordered by a court to attend a defensive driving course.
- Your citation is for a moving violation that is eligible for dismissal or reduction.
- You have not attended a defensive driving course within a specific time period (usually 12 to 24 months) prior to your current citation.
Benefits of Attending:
- Ticket Dismissal/Reduction: Completing an approved defensive driving course can lead to the dismissal or reduction of your traffic citation. This can help you avoid points on your driving record, prevent insurance premium increases, and keep your record clean.
- Insurance Discounts: In some cases, insurance providers offer discounts on auto insurance premiums to individuals who have completed an approved defensive driving course. Contact your insurance company to inquire about potential discounts.
Enrolling in Traffic School/Defensive Driving:
- Choose an Approved Course Provider: Texas has approved various online and classroom-based defensive driving course providers. Ensure that the course you select is approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR).
- Register for the Course: Once you’ve chosen an approved course provider, you can register for the defensive driving course. Typically, you’ll need to provide your personal information, citation details, and payment for the course fee.
- Complete the Course: The defensive driving course can be completed either online or in a classroom setting, depending on the provider you choose. The course duration is typically six hours. You can complete it at your own pace if you opt for an online course.
- Obtain the Completion Certificate: After successfully completing the defensive driving course, you will receive a completion certificate. Ensure that the certificate includes the necessary information, such as the TDLR approval number and your personal details.
Submitting the Completion Certificate:
- If you are attending defensive driving voluntarily to dismiss a ticket, you’ll need to submit the completion certificate to the court handling your citation within the specified deadline.
- If you are attending defensive driving as part of a court order, follow the instructions provided by the court regarding submitting the completion certificate.
It’s important to note that the information provided is a general overview of attending traffic school or defensive driving courses in Texas. Specific procedures, requirements, and course providers may vary.
It’s advisable to consult the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) or visit their official website for a list of approved course providers and more detailed information on attending traffic school or defensive driving courses in Texas.
Attending a traffic school or defensive driving course can help you dismiss or reduce a traffic citation, improve your driving skills, and potentially qualify for insurance discounts. Be sure to choose an approved course provider and complete the course within the specified timeframe to reap the benefits of attending traffic school in Texas.